2 Homemade Shaving Products For Use With Your Straight Razor
If you are just learning how to shave with a straight razor, you may already be amazed at the smoothness it gives your skin. However, you may be wondering about what products to use to achieve optimal results. If so, use one or more of the following homemade shaving products for moisturizing and conditioning your skin using ingredients found in pharmacies and supermarkets.
Natural Shaving Cream
The Aloe Vera gel and essential oils used in this shaving cream helps to soothe skin irritation and trap in moisture while you are shaving. The castille soap gives it a frothy quality without drying out your skin. The lavender and grape seed oils serve as conditioning agents, as well as gives the cream a light fragrance.
When applying the shaving cream, you can use your hands. However, a shaving brush helps to mix the ingredients further and helps activate the soap while you are applying it. A brush also ensures full, even coverage.
What You Will Need
Before you make your shaving cream, gather the ingredients below.
- Small plastic bowl with a lid
- One-quarter of a cup of castille soap
- One-eighth of a cup of pure Aloe Vera gel
- Ten drops of lavender oil
- Ten drops of grape seed oil
- One tablespoon of olive oil
Once you have all of your supplies, follow the directions below to make the shaving cream.
- Combine the castille soap and Aloe Vera gel in the small bowl, mixing the two ingredients well.
- Add the oils in one at a time, stirring thoroughly after the addition of each.
- Place the lid on the bowl and let the mixture sit overnight. This will give the ingredients a chance to meld, increasing their potency.
- Apply the shaving cream and shave with your straight razor.
Homemade Aftershave Lotion
After shaving, this homemade aftershave lotion helps calm any irritation and nourishes the skin. Aloe Vera gel is used as the base to cool any burning sensations and reduce redness. The vitamin E oil replenishes the skin, giving it a smooth and plump appearance. Rosemary oil gives the lotion a nice, woodsy scent.
The coconut oil helps prevent acne breakouts. However, if you are allergic to coconuts, you may want to leave it out or substitute almond oil.
Gather the following supplies and ingredients before you begin.
- Clean, empty lotion bottle with lid
- Sewing needle
- One-quarter cup of Aloe Vera gel
- Five vitamin E liquid capsules
- Five drops of rosemary oil
- One tablespoon of coconut oil or almond oil, if you are substituting it
What You Will Need
Once you have what you need, follow the directions below to make and use your homemade aftershave lotion.
- Pour the Aloe Vera gel into the lotion bottle.
- Prick each vitamin E capsule with the sewing needle and squeeze the contents into the bottle.
- Close the lid and shake vigorously to mix the two ingredients together.
- Open the bottle and add the additional oils.
- Replace the lid and shake vigorously.
- Let the lotion sit overnight to give the ingredients time to meld.
- When the lotion is ready for use, shake the bottle a few times before applying.
- Place a dime-sized amount in the palm of your hand and rub your hands together.
- Apply it to your skin and allow the lotion to soak in without rinsing.
Using one or both of the above products should leave your skin silky smooth and soft. However, if you decide these are not for you or you find you are allergic to the ingredients, you may want to contact the maker of your straight razor kit to see what they recommend as the best creams and lotions to use while shaving.
Check out sites like http://www.vintagebladesllc.com for more info.